Information for Prospective Students

If you are studying in one of our full-time degree programmes (one year), you may need a Student Visa and/or Residence permit from the Netherlands, for which you will find detailed information below. Residence permits for foreign students to study in the Netherlands for a period of between 3 and 12 months can only be applied for in the case of students enrolled in a full-time degree programme.

If you are studying in one of our non-degree Executive Programmes, the Executive MBA or a DBA programme, it will be the student’s own responsibility to secure any travel documents that may be required in order to be present for courses taking place in the Netherlands.

Citizen off: Staying less than 90 days Staying more than 90 days
EU, Finland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland No visa or residence permit required No visa or residence permit required
Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, United States and Vatican City No visa or residence permit required No entry visa (MVV) required, but you do need a residence permit (VVR)
Albania, Antigua & Barbuda, Andorra, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Hong Kong SAR & BNO passport holders, Honduras, Israel, Macau SAR passport holders, FYR Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldavia, Montenegro, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, San Marino, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, (West) Samoa, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Timor-Leste, Trinidad & Tobago, Tonga, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vanuatu and Venezuela No visa or residence permit required Entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) required
All other countries Short stay visa required Entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) required
MSM will take care of your student visa and residence permit application on your behalf. However, please note that we can only do so if you meet the following requirements:
  • you have a valid passport
  • you have been admitted to a full-time programme of MSM (full-time MBA or Master in Management)
  • you can demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses (see ‘financial requirements’ here below).

IMPORTANT: More information on visas and permits can be found in the brochure ‘Coming to study in the Netherlands’ from the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

Financial requirements

As a non-EU national entering the Netherlands to study, you may need an entry visa and/or a residence permit. To obtain these you must demonstrate that you have enough money to cover your entire stay.

The Dutch Ministry of Justice has set a standard amount of € 1250 per month for this purpose (at least € 15,000 for a 12-month stay). If you also wish to apply for a permit on behalf of your partner and/or children, please visit the following link:

Important note: These standard amounts do not include tuition fee costs. You are expected to have the amounts stated above at your disposal in addition to sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees.

More than one nationality?

If you have more than one nationality, you may choose which nationality you would like to use. If one of these nationalities is EU/EEA or Swiss, we recommend using this nationality, as then you will not need a residence permit.

Schengen Area

Residence permits arranged by MSM will allow you to travel freely (up to 90 days every six months) in the Schengen Area, which makes trips to Spain, France, Germany and other European countries easily possible.

Family-members or relatives

MSM can advise you the right contact to apply for the residence permit for your family-members or relatives, but is only ever responsible for you. You are responsible for the legal residence of your family-members or relatives. For more information, see the IND publication ‘Enabling a family-member or relative to come to the Netherlands’.

Other visa and residence permit types (also for family-members)

You may also qualify for a different type of residence permit than student residency. For more information, visit the website of the IND: MSM can, however, only assist you with permits and visa for study purposes.

Job-seeking year / orientation year

After graduating from the full-time MBA or Master in Management programme at MSM in the Netherlands, you may be eligible for a job-seeking year. This means you can stay in the Netherlands for 1 year in order to search for a job as a highly skilled migrant. An additional condition is that you must have sufficient money to support yourself. More information about the search year can be found in the IND publication ‘Coming to work in the Netherlands’. Here you can also find the application for a search year.

Video poster