Do you want to become an expert in managing water resources?
Water management comes with many challenges, both economic and ecological, and implies a sound combination of management skills and water engineering know-how. The acquisition, distribution and management of water resources will become even more challenging in the future than it is today. Therefore it is important that complex water systems meet the levels of service and performance requirements defined by social and environmental demands, while minimizing financial, environmental and societal costs. The continued development, operation and management of these systems require highly trained experts with knowledge and practical skills covering science, engineering and management disciplines.
Water management systems are fundamental to society, for example for the supply of safe drinking water, the treatment of waste water or flood and coastal protection and through the social and ecological consequences of water management.
The M.Sc. in Management and Engineering in Water is a two year full-time program for young professionals who aspire to fulfill leadership positions in organizations where water resource management is an issue. The master program also qualifies graduates to pursue a university career, including doctoral studies.
5 Reasons to follow this program
Increase your career options
The M.Sc. in Management and Engineering in Water provides participants with a strong knowledge base and professional foundation to lead in water resource management. After completing the program you will stand out for your ability to integrate scientific principles, engineering knowledge and management techniques in developing innovative solutions towards resources in any water industry.
Experience world-class engineering education
The engineering section of the program is conducted at the Faculty of Civil Engineering of RWTH Aachen University. The mission of this faculty is to train highly qualified and responsible engineers in the broad field of Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering, including Water Engineering and to enable them to take up leading positions in the industry and society. The training will be provided by highly reputed professors who will help students to acquire further expertise and in-depth knowledge in the water management sector. On the one hand you will become familiar with a variety of tools that will help you analyze long-term behavior and evaluate the impact of human interventions on various functions of different water systems. On the other hand the program will also look at the management and decision-making process.
Develop your global leadership skills
On the management side, Maastricht School of Management’s international experience in global management education will enrich your skills as a globally oriented manager. You will become a master in core management processes and in the major societal and environmental issues that set the scene for business processes in a global economy. During the management classes at MSM, you will work in small groups to solve problems related to global transformation and sustainable competitiveness, organization development, and international project management.
Learn from diversity
You will share your study experience with fellow participants from all over the world. Not only will your fellow students represent various cultural backgrounds, but they will also come from different business sectors, study backgrounds and different personal networks. This variety of profiles will help you develop your multi-cultural skills, and build your global network.
Study in two unique historical cities
You will live and study in the heart of Europe. Aachen and Maastricht are historical cities with their own distinct languages and cultures – yet only 30 km apart. Both cities provide the surroundings for a memorable student life.
Click here for the Education and Examination regulations (EER) of all the MSM programs.
The study program will be jointly offered by the RWTH Aachen University and the Maastricht School of Management (MSM). Upon successful completion you receive a Master of Science degree from RWTH Aachen University. The M.Sc. in Management and Engineering programs are accredited by ASIIN.
The table below provides a first overview of the curriculum (NB: there may still be minor changes to the curriculum).
(Click on the picture to open the curriculum)
You will spend one year (first and second semester) at RWTH Aachen University. There you will attend the engineering courses which provide in-depth knowledge in the areas of water management, water resources and related topics. In addition, the RWTH School of Business
and Economics will deliver three management modules during the first year in Aachen.
The third semester will be spent at Maastricht School of Management in the Netherlands. You will be trained as a manager with solid knowledge of the core management processes with a focus on sustainable development. In the fourth semester you will follow two engineering courses and pursue a master thesis, either at RWTH Aachen University or at Maastricht School of Management.
Admission to the MME program takes place on a competitive basis. Candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Have a Bachelor degree in Engineering or in Science related to your envisioned study program awarded by an internationally recognized university-level institution.
- Have basic knowledge in business administration. Students with no previous knowledge in management have to participate in a preparatory online courses conducted by the School of Business and Economics at the RWTH Aachen University prior to the start of the course (July-Sep).
- Certified proof of your competence in the English language through the completion of one of the accepted examinations listed below:
– TOEFL Internet based minimum of 90 pts/Paper based minimum of 577 pts.
– IELTS test minimum overall band 5,5
– Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE),
– First Certificate in English (FCE), completed with B,
– Placement-Test of RWTH Aachen University‹s language centre (B2).
– For German applicants: Ein Zeugnis, das englische Sprachkenntnisse auf dem Niveau B2 des “Gemeinsamen europäischen Referenzrahmens (GeR)” ausweist. Dieser Nachweis wird z.B. durch die Vorlage eines deutschen Abiturzeugnisses erbracht, aus dem ersichtlich ist, dass Englisch bis zum Ende der Qualifikationsphase 1 (Jahrgangsstufe 11 bei G8-Abitur, sonst Jahrgangsstufe 12) durchgängig belegt und mit mindestens ausreichenden Leistungen abgeschlossen wurde.
Exemptions from the English language requirements are only applicable to applicants who hold a first degree from USA, UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia.
- Have practical professional experience of at least one year. This can be a practical training or work experience in the area of your program of interest during or after your first recognized university degree.
For further admission requirements, please have a look at the requirements on the RWTH International Academy website.
The application deadline is 1 March of each year.
Please apply online via the RWTHonline portal from the RWTH Aachen University.
In addition please refer to the section ‘Application information’ on the RWTH site. This gives full details on the application process including all requirements.
|Per semester||€ 5,500|
|Total for entire 2-year MSc program||€ 22,000|
Please visit the ‘Scholarship’ pages for all information on scholarships.