1 October 2018
AMBA, ACBSP, IACBE
Are you an ambitious graduate or young professional who aims for a successful career in top management?
The MSM Master in Management (MM) program is a one-year full-time master’s program for recent graduates and young professionals with the ambition to manage people and processes with success in any organization, country or context.
Our MM provides you with a first necessary step to fast-forward your career to higher levels by providing you with a solid foundation in the practice and theory of management in a fast-changing global world. During this course you will be provided with the opportunity to understand how to steer your organization to high performance in a diverse and multicultural international business context. You will learn from experienced faculty, international companies and fellow participants from different cultural, business and study backgrounds.
The MSM Master in Management will ultimately challenge you to develop your own unique approach to management that inspires.
Why should you follow the MSM Master in Management?
Connect theory to the real world of business
During various stages in the program you will learn how to develop your own approach to solve organizational problems and turn opportunities into business success.
Together with a team of fellow students you will work on a group company project, solving a real-life problem of a company in the region. With your team you will compete with other teams consisting of fellow students, working on the same case, to provide the best solution for the company.
At the individual course level, you will conduct group and individual assignments where you will actively demonstrate your newly acquired knowledge and skills.
You will finalize your Master’s program with an integrative assignment in the form of an academic research paper with a focus on theoretical management, or real-life issues for a company.
The Master in Management degree is aimed to be a trampoline-year to the business world, by simulating this in as many ways as possible, while at the same time, still providing you with a solid, interesting and unique education
Develop yourself into an effective and responsible manager
Our MM program is people-focused: organizations are created and exist by people for people. Through the Personal Development Program you will develop the personal and interpersonal skills you need as a manager. Additionally you will gain a deeper understanding of how organizations that are responsibly managed adopt and adhere to ethical standards. In this regard you will study what works and what does not in sustainable business and sustainable development. We subscribe to the Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME). Therefore social responsibility, business ethics and sustainability issues are a common theme throughout the program.
Learn and network through diversity
You will develop your management skills in a truly international and multicultural classroom with fellow participants from all over the world. Not only will they represent various cultural backgrounds, but they will also come from different business sectors, study backgrounds and different personal networks. In the global context your personal networks and multicultural leadership skills are vital ingredients for career success.
Click here for the Education and Examination regulations (EER) of all the MSM programs.
The curriculum consists of 13 courses, one group company project, a Supply Chain Management Project, a Personal Development Program of workshops and an integrative final project resulting in a total of 60 ECTS and equivalent study load of 1800 hours.
|Managing Cultural Diversity||90||3|
|Economics for Managers||90||3|
|Accounting for Managers||90||3|
|Human Resource Management||90||3|
|Entrepreneurship and Innovation||90||3|
|Strategy and Planning||90||3|
|Digital Transformation of Business||90||3|
|Personal Development Program (PDP) – throughout the year:
workshops on personal and interpersonal skills
|Group company project (team competition):
Sustainable Business or Digital Economy
|Supply Chain Management Project||90||3|
|Academic Research Paper, with a focus on either:
– theoretical management
– real-life issues for a company
Note: this curriculum is subject to change.
Group Company Projects
During the program you will conduct one group project for a company. You will work in a team with fellow students on solving an actual problem of a specific company in the region. With your team you will compete with other teams consisting of fellow students working on the same case for the same company. The first project will be related to the topic Sustainable Development or to the Digital Economy.
Personal Development Portfolio
Throughout the year you will participate in various workshops to help you develop your personal and interpersonal skills, a vital asset for every manager.
The MM program concludes with program integration, an individual project that will require you to prove your ability to integrate the individual core subjects of the MSM MM program to solve an organizational challenge. The final project takes the form of an academic research paper either focusing on theoretical management or on real-life issues for a company.
An academic research paper with the focus on a real-life issue of company involves how to advise a real life organization in solving a specific problem it is facing. Part of this project will consist of doing business research to further analyze the problem.
The academic research paper with a theoretical management focus involves researching practical problems that organizations are confronted with, and formulating recommendations drawn from the research. The project focuses on a management or business problem encountered by a larger number of organizations (N>1).
No matter which project is chosen, the aim is to enhance and improve management practice.
The Master in Management program is a generalist management program fully preparing you for your future leadership role. Additionally you have the opportunity to follow an MBA Specialization if you would like to deepen your knowledge in a specific area. Participation in the specialization of your choice has to be approved by the Academic Coordinator of the Master in Management and the Academic Coordinator of the MBA program. The cost for following an MBA specialization is € 3,500.
You can choose from following specializations*:
- Entrepreneurship in Emerging Markets
- International Business and Sustainable Development
- Accounting and Finance
- Public Sector Management
- Digital Economy
- Healthcare Management**
- Sports Management**
- Wine Business Management**
* Admission to the MBA specializations is not guaranteed and is subject to additional requirements.
** Space in these programs is limited. Admission to these specializations is subject to approval and may require additional program related costs beyond the specialization fee.
Admission requirements and process
Upload the following documents to MSM’s online application portal:
- Diploma or statement expected date of graduation1
– If it is not in English, Dutch, French or German, please also provide a translation in English, Dutch, French or German. A copy is sufficient for first evaluation.
- Transcripts A copy of your (temporary) list of grades.
– If it is not in English, Dutch, French or German, please provide a translation in English, Dutch, French or German.
– If your list is temporary, please also submit a list of courses you still have to take to complete your program.
- Personal résumé / CV
- Letter of recommendation (a reference request can be sent directly via our application portal)
- A letter of motivation (click here for instructions)
- Proof of English proficiency: non-native English speaking candidates and candidates whose previous education has been in a different language than English must submit evidence of English proficiency by achieving the following minimum scores:
TOEFL scores: (Test of English as Foreign Language)
– 88 for the internet based test
– 230 computer based test
– 570 paper based test
– 570 institutional TOEFL (paper based at a certified test administration site)
IELTS score (International English Language Testing System):
– 6.5 minimum, with no section below 5.5 on the Academic test
TOEIC score (Test of English for International Communication):
– 720, provided applicant has passed both “Speaking & Writing” and “Listening & Reading”
Pearson PTE Academic test of English – minimum score 59
Cambridge CPE English Proficiency test – C
Cambridge CAE English Advanced test – B
Applicants from countries where the official language is English, or who have studied in countries where English is the official language, are exempted from this requirement.
- Copy of your passport or your EU identity card (valid on the start date of your program)
Only complete applications will be reviewed. As stated above, diplomas and transcripts can be submitted in English, Dutch, French or German, preferred language is English. Other documents should be in English.
1 If you cannot obtain the required certified documents before the start of your study program, you can also send us a certified statement by post from your school/institution, in which it is stated that you have fulfilled all the requirements of your diploma and mentioning the results obtained, and that only the issuing of the official document is pending.
Also send the certified copy of your diploma and sealed transcripts by regular mail to:
Maastricht School of Management
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 1203
6201 BE Maastricht
As soon as we have received your online application we will provide you with the details on how to submit the required documents and the non-refundable application fee of € 75.
Applications are processed immediately upon receipt. However, please note that the deadline for applications is 1 July (for non-EU residents) and 1 August (for EU residents) of the respective year in which you wish to enroll. Each application will be processed on an individual basis. The Graduate Admissions Board will make a decision based on the candidate’s prior academic performance, work experience and overall achievements and goals. We will inform you of the Admissions Board’s decision as soon as possible.
MSM reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission if candidates fail to satisfy all requirements or if it is determined that admission was obtained through the use of falsified, altered or embellished information.
- Interview by an MSM faculty or staff member, or an MSM alumnus. This interview will give the applicant a chance to highlight any motivation or skills beyond the CV and letter of motivation. It will also give MSM a chance to learn more about individual motivations for joining the Master in Management.
- After payment of 1st installment and prior to the start of the MM program four, online leveling courses (Accounting, Finance, Statistics and Economics) are required to be satisfactorily completed. Alternatively, if you have completed the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) with a score of 600 or higher (or a GRE with an equivalent score), the leveling courses are waived.
Visa and residence permit process
Please also check the page Visas and Permits for more information!
After you have been accepted to a Full Time degree program at MSM
- MSM will ask you for at least the following documents:
– copy of your passport. Your passport must be valid for at least one month longer than the duration of the program you are registered for.
– evidence of sufficient financial resources. You must be able to prove that you have at least € 875 per month for rent, food and insurances. MSM will inform you about how you can do that.
– completed consent form. With this you authorize MSM to arrange the application on your behalf.
– completed antecedents form. This is a statement that you have not committed any criminal offence.
– certified, physical copies of Diploma and Transcripts. In case you have only submitted copies or temporary documents during the admissions process.
– proof of first payment. In order to start your Visa process, you will be required to submit proof of payment for the first installment of your tuition as well as any other required fees (exact amounts to be confirmed by the Admissions Office.)
- You will receive a message if all of the documents satisfy the conditions.
- MSM will start your visa application. The Netherlands Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) needs about 4 weeks to process your application. As soon as this has been done you will receive a notification by email.
- You make an appointment with the Dutch Embassy in your country. There you must submit passport photos and have your fingerprint registered. After that you will receive your visa. You will receive your residence permit after your arrival in the Netherlands. Please note! Do not book your trip to the Netherlands until after you have received your visa.
Please note! Do not book your trip to the Netherlands until after you have received your visa.
After your arrival in Maastricht
- MSM will inform you about where and when you can pick up your residence permit.
- MSM will continue to monitor your academic progress.
- MSM can ask the IND to revoke your student visa in any of the following situations:
a. If you fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress,
b. If you fail to submit all the required documents to complete your admission to the degree program,
c. If any of your admissions documents or visa application documents are found to be altered, false or fabricated in any way.
d. If you are deemed by MSM to be conducting yourself in any way that is not in line with the Code of Conduct for international students in higher education (http://www.internationalstudy.nl/en/page/code-of-conduct-international-student-in-dutch-higher-education)
After you complete your studies in Maastricht
- Before your student visa expires you must either
a. Apply for the Zoekjaar Visa with the IND in order to prolong your stay in the Netherlands or
b. Deregister with the city (gemeente) in which you registered.
|Application window for Nuffic OKP scholarship applicants opens||1 February 2018|
|Application deadline for Nuffic OKP scholarship applicants||22 March 2018|
|Early Bird||1 May 2018|
|Application deadline non-EU residents (private sponsorship)||15 July 2018|
|Application deadline EU residents (private sponsorship)||22 September 2018|
|Start of Program||1 October 2018|
|Full Tuition Fee||€ 15,800|
|Application Fee (non refundable)||€ 75|
|MBA Specialization (additional feature, not mandatory)*||€ 3,500*|
*in case you choose to follow an MBA specialization as an optional, extra feature to the MM program
Please take a look at the available scholarships which are listed under the next section, Scholarships, or check this overview with available scholarships and other program related cost.
Click here for more information about the deferment policy, the refund policy, obtaining a visa and financial suspension.
For more detailed information about the scholarships for and other program related costs, please click here. In this overview you will also find the conditions for the scholarships indicated below.
|Dean‹s Development Fund||Based on country|
|Academic Excellence Scholarship||50 %|
|Women in Leadership||50 %|
|Alumni Lifelong Learning||50 %|
|Public Services / NGO Scholarship||50 %|
|Bosphorus Scholarship||50 %|
|European Star Scholarship||25 %|
|Entrepreneurship / Family Business Scholarship||25 %|
|Orange Tulip Scholarship (for selected countries)||2 x 65%|
|Holland Scholarship||€ 5,000|
NUFFIC and other scholarships:
For more information on scholarships offered by the Dutch government and international organizations for the programs of Maastricht School of Management please check here.
For more information on how to apply for the NUFFIC scholarship programs, click here.